There is a record of an Andrew F. Wares marrying 15 year old Susan Belden in Elyria, Lorain County, Ohio on the 8th of
April, 1835. The ceremony was performed by Justice of the Peace, Edwin Byington. Two months prior to the wedding,
Martin Wares was born in Elyria on Monday, February 2nd. Infant Martin was placed with adoptive mother Hannah
Baxter of Elyria on Sunday the 8th and remained with her until adulthood.

Citation: Lorain County Recorder 1991, Martin Wares "born Feb. 2, by Belden in Loraine County in 1835. The certificate
was applied for on the 8th by mother Hannah Baxter in the town of Elyria, Lorain County."

It is suspected that it was Hannah who gave Martin his middle name. Besides Van Buren (the Vice President when
Martin was born), she was also fond of the name Andrew Jackson (the President at that time), and bestowed it upon
some of her other male charges. According to her obituary, she raised over 20 children, but never had any of her own.

On the census of 1850, Martin is shown (at the estimated age of 14) in her care in the town of Elyria, Lorain County,
Ohio. After 1860, Hannah moved to Carthage, Illinois and lived out her life in Webster, a suburb.

Carthage, Illinois
September 23, 1891

Mrs. Hannah Baxter, aged 89 years, died at the almshouse Sept. 14, was brought here for burial on Tuesday Sept. 15.  
"Aunt Hannah" as she was familiarly known lived since 1855 in this town. She was a widow four times. Never had a
child of her own, but raised about 20 children. She owned at one time the property now owned by Wm. Duffie; sold
that and went to Hannibal, Mo. about 4 years ago; but after remaining there only a short time, home sickness brought
the old lady back to Webster where she was supported by the citizens until last spring, when she grew so feeble as to
be unsafe living alone, she was taken to her foster son, Morgan Edgecomb in Carthage, and from thence to the place
where she died.

It was in Carthage on August 14th, 1862, at the age of 27, that Martin V.B. Wares enlisted for duty in the Civil War on
the side of the Union Army. In addition to his age, the Company Descriptive Book recorded a height of 5 feet 5 1/2
inches, a florid complexion, grey eyes and auburn hair. He was mustered as a Private into Company D, 78th Regiment
Illinois Infantry on September 1st, 1862; one among 862 other enlisted men. After three years of fighting, he was
wounded in the Battle of Bentonville in North Carolina on March 19, 1865. Shot in his left hand, he spent April and May
in the hospital trying to heal, but it was ultimately amputated.

The War ended a month before his hospital discharge. He was mustered out of his unit along with only 392 surviving
soldiers on the 7th of June, 1865 in Washington, DC. He received a $12 per month military pension (under the
surname WARE) for the rest of his life, and wore a wooden prosthesis.

Five years after leaving the military, Martin was living in Missouri. It is not evident when or where he married his first
wife, only that he divorced Amelia Sommers on April 5th, 1870 in Worth County. One month later, on the 8th of May,
1870, he wed Virginia Ann Garner.

Their first child, Ida was born in Springfield, Greene County, Missouri in 1871. Minnie Alice was born in Glenwood, Mills
County, Iowa in 1874. Born in Winterset, Madison County, Iowa were William Franklin in 1876, John Denman in 1879,
Grace Pearl in 1881, Dora Elizabeth in 1885 and Maggie Browning in 1888. Young William died at the age of three in
September of 1879 and was buried in Hooten Cemetery in Winterset.

After their last child's birth, eight years passed without record of the family's location or movement. One clue we have
is the marriage of daughter Minnie to G. Edward Walton in Logan, Harrison County, Iowa in 1894.

Virginia passed away seven months afterward on February 28, 1895 in rural Ingraham, Mills County (census). The
Walton's first child Ralph was born in April.

In 1896, Martin relocated his entire family to Letcher in South Dakota where he rented a room for himself in a boarding
house. Daughter Minnie, her 8 year old sister Maggie and her spouse, Edward Walton and their infant son Ralf lived in
a house nearby. Daughters Dora and Grace stayed with brother John who rented a farm in Butler township about 6
miles from Letcher.

In 1899, his single daughter Grace gave birth to Thelma Marie, who she was obliged to give up. Thelma Marie Wares
was surrendered by Grace to South Dakota Children’s Home Society at Letcher in Sanborn County on 27-Jul-1900. She  
was placed with Alexander (Joseph) Chase at Britton in Marshall County on the 29th of August; then was legally
adopted by Alex and his wife Nettie on October 30th, 1900. They changed her name to Etta May. In 1901 Grace had
another child, Margaret, after which she fled the farm with her, never to be seen by her family again.

Jasper Nooten Conley was a 23 year old visitor at his uncle William Haden’s farm which was adjacent to the Wares
property. He was there for the time period of both of Grace's pregnancies. He left suddenly in 1901 just after
Margaret's birth and moved back to Missouri. He married Mrs. Clara [Darnell] Kephart (born 1890) in Kirksville, Missouri
in 1917. He married his second wife, Elizabeth (Lizzie) Kohlmyer in 1921. She was born about 1884, also in Kirksville.
Lastly he married Mrs. Eliza [Miller] Murray in 1948 shortly after the death of Lizzie. He had no children from any of his
See the Conley page for detailed research on his connection.

Martin's Daughter Minnie and son-in-law Edward had 4 sons, 3 of which he was able to enjoy as a grandfather while
he was alive. He spent the last two years of his life in the Walton's home. In 1909 in Perry Township, he died from
complications of "Bright's disease" (acute chronic nephritis and kidney disease).

Martin was laid to rest with military honors at Graceland Cemetery in Mitchell, Davison County, South Dakota.

The stone that the Veteran's Administration erected for him had an incorrect age inscription, based on the date of his
discharge and not of his birth. It stood for 82 years and was replaced in 1991 with another that only stated his date of
death. If one uses his birth date (given to us by the Lorain County recorder in 1991) the inscription would have read:
73 Ys, 1 M, 26 Days.


Henry Cavier* was born in Delmenhorst Germany in October of 1872. He came to America by way of Baltimore in May of
1889 and filed his "declaration of intent" to naturalize on January 14, 1893, as recorded on page 101 of volume
V00144, in Bon Homme County, South Dakota, where he was a resident of Tyndall.

After her estrangement from family, Grace travelled south to Tyndall where she met Henry in early 1902. He married
her 16 days after he took the oath, finally becoming a US citizen on May 8th, 1902. He also adopted infant Margaret as
his own, and who was never told of her beginnings. The couple moved to Wagner where Henry took up farming and
became well established in the community. It was in Wagner that all six of their children were born.

Henry was a charter member of the Wagner Lutheran Church; but it would take WWI in 1917 to convince Grace to join.
She was a quiet person and kept her thoughts and feelings to herself. When her son, Otto and his wife, Viola were
expecting their fourth baby, she asked them, if it was a girl, would they name her Thelma. She told them she had
always loved that name. In her heart, Grace never forgot her daughter, but as it was, her grandchild was born a boy.

Raymond Frank Cavier, Grace and Henry's son, was born in South Dakota in 1914 and saw action in Italy and France
during the second World War. He was a Sergeant with the 636th Tank Destroyer Battalion attached to the 36th
(Texas) Infantry Division which landed in southern France on 15 August, 1944. The 636 TD BN was the first unit to
enter Lyon and to reach the Moselle River that September. It engaged German forces in the Vosges Mountain region
beginning in October and relieved the 601st Tank Destroyer Battalion in Strasbourg in December.

In January of 1945, the men battled the German Northwind offensive, and in February converted its tank killing
equipment from the
M10 to the M36. The 636th struck the Siegfried Line near Wissembourg in late March, and then, on
the 28th, was attached to the 14th Armored Division from Camp Chaffee, Arkansas.

"On Easter Sunday, 1 April 1945, the 14th moved across the Rhine near Worms protecting the long left flank of the
Seventh Army advance against moderate to heavy German opposition through Lohr, Gemunden, Neustadt, and
Hammelburg, where on 6 April, Combat Command B liberated Stalag XIIIC and the more famous Oflag XIII-B prisoner
of war camps."

SGT RAY CAVIER was killed in action on the 15th of April, 1945 as the 14th division raced to the Danube where it
crossed at Ingolstadt, and then pushed on across the Isar River to Moosburg. On the 29th of April, his fellow soldiers
liberated over 130,000 Allied prisoners from Stalag VII-A, the largest prisoner of war camp in Germany.

Moving rapidly eastward to the area of Mulhdorf, the 14th established two strong bridgeheads across the Inn River
before being ordered to halt by III Corps. The division fired its last rounds on the 2nd day of May 1945, and was
processing prisoners of war, and patrolling its area when the war in Europe ended on 8 May, 1945."

The 14th Division became known by the nickname "LIBERATORS" during the last days of World War II when it freed
some 200,000 Allied prisoners of war from German prison camps, including American soldiers, sailors, and airmen, as
well as troops from the UK and Commonwealth.

Ray died three days after his 31st birthday, and twenty one days before the War's end. The courage and sacrifices of
Ray and brave men like him saved the lives of thousands. He is buried in The Lorraine American Cemetery and
Memorial near Moselle, France.


Joseph Alexander Chase, known to his neighbors and friends in Central Oregon as "Alex" or "J. A.", was born near
Avoca, Iowa in 1859. He was one of nine children born to Stephan and Olivia [Currier] Chase. Stephan had been an
Indian Agent in the Iowa Territory.

Alex spent his early years in Iowa, but when he was a young man, he moved to Britton in South Dakota. There he met
Nettie F. Eaton, who was born April 26, 1868, the daughter of Deroy Eaton and Alice Hicks. Deroy was a farmer whose
four daughters were raised in a sod house with earthen floors.

Nettie and Alex were married in 1887. The couple remained childless for 10 years until they adopted Wayne, born in
1897. Their second child was the adopted daughter of Grace Wares, Thelma Marie, whom they renamed Etta May. Born
in 1898 in the township of Butler, she became a member of the Chase family in October of 1900.

Farming in South Dakota was a harsh way of life for the Chases, with short, hot summers and long, cold winters. Alex
had two sisters who were living in Pullman in the State of Washington. Their promise of a better life persuaded him to
join them there, and soon after Etta's adoption, he and Nettie departed South Dakota.

Alex found employment with the Washington State College and worked there until 1904. Records show that on
November 4th, 1904, after learning of land in Oregon opening up for farming, J. A. Chase filed an application for  
property with the Deschutes Irrigation and Power Company, an agent for the Oregon State Land Board . The agency
was charged with the reclamation of certain arid desert lands in and around Crook County.

Leaving his family behind to prepare their way, Alex relocated to Oregon and worked as a surveyor for the Deschutes
Power company. He helped to build the first irrigation ditches in the area and also worked on the Tumalo Reservoir

In 1907, he returned to Pullman. In his absence, Nettie had prepared for their new life by canning and drying enough
food to carry them through their first year on the farm.  Together once again, they boarded the train with their children
and belongings, but the ride took them no further than
Shaniko, the terminus of the Columbia Southern Railway, a
subsidiary of the Union Pacific Railroad. There the family was transferred to a
stagecoach for the last 80 miles of the
journey. Their goods and supplies were to be loaded onto a freight wagon, but unfortunately everything was stolen
during the process.

The Chase land was located in a community known as Pleasant Ridge, between Bend and Redmond on the Deschutes
River, just north of Peterson's Rock Gardens. The neighborhood is now in present day Deschutes County, but was part
of Crook County when the first files were recorded. The record also indicates that the Chase family was one of the first
37 to settle in that area.

It must have seemed a grim future with two young children, a tent for shelter, no food reserves, and winter looming.  
But it was no time for fear or regrets and they set to work immediately. Alex, with the help of a good team of horses
cleared the land of rock, juniper and sage brush. The arid desert soon gave way to fenced fields of sweet smelling
alfalfa, an apple orchard and a vegetable garden. Eventually a small house replaced their tent and a barn was built.

Their farm provided a good life but there was never an abundance of cash. Selling surplus hay, eggs, cream, and
occasionally a calf, kept the taxes paid.  Being conservative and resourceful was a necessary part of their life. Nettie
rendered lard and made her own soap, canned and dried food, churned butter, smoked ham and bacon, and baked
bread.  She washed their clothes with the aid of a scrub board and pressed them with a fire heated flat iron. Nothing
was wasted and many a flour sack became a pair of bloomers, and even the smallest scrap of material was sewn into
a quilt.

Through the lean years, Nettie still took time to add a little beauty to her home. Every few years, a new layer of
wallpaper adorned the walls of their neat little house. And pictures from magazines and seed catalogues were
papered onto the outhouse walls every spring. Later, when new owners peeled away the wall coverings, it was
discovered that many of the first layers had been newspaper.

There were disappointments too. During the depression, Nettie acquired some lambs which she bottle fed and coddled
to maturity. The proceeds from their sale was deposited for safekeeping in a Redmond bank which then failed. After
the loss of her hard earned nest egg, Nettie never trusted financial institutions again.

The Chases had many good years in the Pleasant Ridge community. Their social life centered around the Grange,
nicknamed Coo-Coo Ridge, much to the chagrin of the locals. The old building served as a meeting place for the
farmers.  The large kitchen in the back of the hall was the site of many socials. Neighbors shared their very best
casseroles, pies, cakes and breads. Rabbit hunts and turkey shoots for the men, and quilting bees for the ladies, were
a welcome change of pace from the hard work of the farm.

Alex worked the land until his death in 1939 at the age of 80. He died on the property that he carved from the
wilderness, never having enjoyed the benefit of electricity. Nettie continued to live there and would see the Rural
Electrification Administration bring lights and the luxury of radio to their farm. In 1945, she sold it to be closer to her
son Wayne and moved to Redmond. She died there on September 10th, 1957 at the age of 89.

They are gone now, and may we never forget to appreciate their efforts. Alex and Nettie, like many other settlers,
were the trailblazers. They belonged to a small group of honest, conservative, hardworking people who built the
foundation of this country. [citation: Biography by Doris M.
Chase Gregg (1929-2000), daughter of Wayne and Ruby


Etta May Chase was first married February 3rd, 1922 to Joseph Hamilton McElfresh [
1]. Joe was Etta's high school
sweetheart, captain of the Redmond High football team. They made their home in Redmond, not far from the family
farm. A son, Joseph Francis, was born to the couple later that year. But the life Etta planned for her family was
tragically interrupted. In June of 1924, and just 10 days apart, both her 2 year old son and her 25 year old husband
succumbed from complications of deadly tuberculosis.

Also that summer, Nora [Kettleson], the wife of neighbor William Earl Mitchell, was sickened by the same disease.  
William hired the newly widowed Etta May McElfresh to care for Nora during her illness and see to the needs of his two
young daughters from his previous marriage. But by November Nora's health declined and she died at the age of 27.

The shared loss of their loved ones to the same terrible epidemic brought William and Etta May together, and on
December 18, 1924, in Bend, Oregon, they were wed. Over 16 years of marriage they had 6 children together.

"The couple made many moves to find work during the depression years. Their first move was to Nyssa, Oregon; then
to Weiser, Idaho. In Weiser, the family lived in three different homes and then in a large tent when William was out of
work and had no money to pay the rent."

"On July 17, 1935, the move was made to McCall, Idaho where William and several other families mined for gold at Poor
Man's Creek. In the Fall, William was able to purchase a small house on an acre of land.  He also purchased several
milk goats and chickens and established himself in the community where he worked at odd jobs and played the mouth
organ for dances. Etta cleaned offices for a doctor."

"On January 6, 1940, in failing health, William entered the Veteran's Hospital in Boise, Idaho. Just 44 days later, on
February 18, 1940, William died. He was buried in McCall, Idaho with military honors at 54 years of age."

Etta May, widowed for a second time, accepted the proposal of Spencer Thomas Smith [3], a resident of McCall who
was born November 20th, 1906 in Jerome, Idaho. The couple did not remain there, however.

While their oldest daughter remained behind to attend school staying with the Johnson family, Etta, Spencer and the
children moved to Emmett, Idaho in 1941. From there it was on to Hermiston, Oregon; then to Pasco, Washington.

"I joined them in Pasco after school was out," their oldest daughter said, "We stayed there through the summer, then
moved to Yakima.  There was work in the orchards and hop fields. We all picked apples, a back breaking job; then
hops. We lived inside a huge barn-like building in tents for privacy. Before the school session began, we moved to a
house on  the east side of Yakima. I myself didn't attend classes that year. I think Spencer was doing carpenter work
at that time. We made our final move to a rental on Fruitvale Blvd. I placed an ad in the paper to do baby sitting and
got a live-in job working for the Fairchild family. I went to work for them in the early summer and started back to school
that fall. I believe that was 1942. Over the next 2 years, the Fairchilds moved a number of times and I moved with
them. I had a couple days off every week when I would visit my mother, brothers and sisters and spend the night."

Spencer and Etta went everywhere together, usually with their youngest son. But on the 13th of April, 1944, the three
year old was left at home while his parents drove to Granger in their employer's truck.  Attempting to turn onto a
bridge, the steering failed and the vehicle went off the road, overturning into the irrigation canal near Union Gap. Etta
May was trapped under water and drowned before she could be rescued. She was buried in Yakima's Tahoma
Cemetery, never having known the mother and father who gave her life, or of the two living sisters and four living
brothers that she had.


Cemetery Records

GRACELAND CEMETERY - Mitchell, South Dakota

Martin:  1835 - 1909
Hillman, Ida M [Wares]:  1871 - 1953
Wares, John D:  1879 - 1930
Murphy, Dora E [Wares]:  1885 - 1931
Baker, Maggie Browning [Wares]:  1888 - 1984

MT PLEASANT CEMETERY - Artesian, South Dakota

Walton, Minnie A [Wares]:  1874 - 1965

Z.C.B.J CEMETERY - 1 mile south of Wagner South Dakota on 395th Avenue

Co-located with St. John's Cemetery, ZCBJ occupies the four southern sections of the cemetery with the north two
sections designated as St. John's.  The ZCBJ Cemetery, aka Wagner Cemetery, was founded in 1901 by the Western
Bohemian Fraternal Union (Zapadni Ceska Bratrska Jednota), a Czech society which dedicated land for nonsectarian
cemeteries to believers in 'free thought' (no particular religious affiliation).

Grace Pearl [Wares]:  1881 - 1942  Mother  (spouse of Henry)
Cavier, Henry:  1872 - 1951 Father  (spouse of Grace Wares)
Stiegert, Margaret [Cavier]:  1901 - 1957  (daughter of Grace)
Stiegert, Charles:  1889 - 1982  (spouse of Margaret Cavier)
Cavier, Otto H:  1903 - 1965  (son of Grace & Henry; spouse of Viola Raabe)
Cavier, Viola H [Raabe]:  1908 - 1989  (spouse of Otto)
Cavier, George I:  03 Aug 1908 - 13 Dec 1989  (son of Grace & Henry)
Cavier, Glenn:  25 Sep 1919 - 26 Apr 2001  (son of Grace & Henry)
Cavier, Paul Otto:  30 May 1942 - 15 Dec 1987  (grandson of Grace & Henry)

COLD SPRINGS CEMETERY - Pringle, Custer County, South Dakota

Tanner, Earl:  1885 - 1966  (spouse of Minnie Cavier)
Tanner, Minnie S [Cavier]:  1905 - 1939  (spouse of Earl; memorial site - ashes spread at Wind Cave National Park, SD)
Tanner, Glen Leroy:  01 Apr 1939 - 03 Apr 1939  (infant son of Minnie & Earl; twin of George)
Tanner, George Laverne:  01 Apr 1939 - 03 Apr 1939  (infant son of Minnie & Earl; twin of Glen)

BLACK HILLS NATIONAL CEMETERY - located south of the city of Sturgis in Meade County, South Dakota

Stiegert, Melvin H: 13 Jun 1924 - 12 Mar 2009 (United States Army from April 13, 1945 to November 27, 1946)


Raymond Frank: 12 Apr 1914 - 15 Apr 1945

TAHOMA CEMETERY - Yakima, Washington

The cemetery office is located at 1802 Tahoma Avenue, one block off S. 16th Ave. The cemetery lies south of Calvary
Cemetery and has a west entrance on 24th Avenue at the separating hedge, just south of Calvary's 3rd gate.

Directions: Drive as far north as you can within the cemetery to get to the paved loop that separates section A from
section B.  Stop at the middle point of that looped roadway where a large tree is growing at the very northern edge of
the pavement.  With your back to the tree, face south, walk across the road and past 22 grave sites to Etta's flat
headstone.  The inscription reads: Mother - Etta Mae Smith - 1899 1944

Etta May: 1899 - 1944 [Thelma Marie Wares Conley Chase McElfresh Mitchell] (May is misspelled Mae on  marker)

TERREBONNE PIONEER CEMETERY - Terrebonne, Oregon (5 miles north of Redmond, now part of greater Redmond)

The cemetery is located 1.5 miles east of Highway 97 in Terrebonne, Oregon.  Signs in Terrebonne will direct you to
Smith Rock State Park.  Turning east on B Ave., the road quickly becomes Smith Rock Way.  Remain on Smith Rock Way
for 1.5 miles.  The cemetery is on the right side of the road with parking on the shoulder.

Joe H: 18 Aug 1898 - 19 Jun 1924  (first spouse of Etta May Chase)
McElfresh, Josephus J: 1861 - 1938  (Joe's father)
McElfresh, Paulina E [Packwood]: 1861 - 1935  (Joe's mother)
McElfresh, Victor A: ? - 1932  (Joe's brother)

REDMOND CEMETERY - Redmond, Oregon

The cemetery is less than a mile from Highway 97 in Redmond.  Take the Yew Ave exit from Highway 97 and head west
until you reach Canal Blvd.  Turn left and go about half a block.  The entrance to the cemetery is on the right clearly
marked with a large sign.

McElfresh, Joseph Francis: 1922 - June 9, 1924  (first child of Etta May)

Chase, Joseph Alexander 1859 - 1939
Chase, Nettie F. 1868 - 1957
Chase, Wayne M. 1897 - 1975
Chase, Ruby E. 1899 - 1979
Buckner, Winifred May [Chase] 1921 - 1992
Burgess, Frances M. [Chase] 1923 - 1998
Gregg, Doris M. [Chase] 1929 - 2000
Helmholtz, Aura Lee [Chase] 1932 - 1992


Thanks to Dorothy and Grace for their input and research which was the basis for this history
Thanks to George and Linda for the Ray Frank Cavier gravesite photo & Ray's story
Cover photo - A typical South Dakota farm


03 Nov 2008 - Added the story of Ray Cavier and a photo of his gravesite - Thanks George & Linda
07 Nov 2008 - Added details of the Martin move to SD
07 Nov 2008 - Added cemetery records for the Cavier family in SD
07 Nov 2008 - Added children of Minnie and Edward Walton to the pedigree chart along with other updated entries
07 Jan 2009 - Added the Chase family story; added details to the Cavier and Smith stories; added more cemetery data
22 Jun 2009 - Added cemetery record for Melvin H Stiegert, son of Margaret and Charles
27 Jan 2011 - Corrected date of birth for Paul O. Cavier - Thanks to Bruce
27 Jan 2014 - Updated biographies


[1] Joseph Hamilton McElfresh was born August 18th, 1898 in Centralia, Lewis County, Washington.

2] I find it interesting that Etta May named her first daughter after her birth mother.  Was she told of Grace by Joseph
and Nettie Chase?  

3] Coincidentally and unbeknown to her, Etta's marriage to Spencer Smith gave her the same surname that her
mother briefly assumed the year after giving her up.
636 TD BN insignia
Seek Strike Destroy
*pronounced KUH-veer
Martin's Divorce Record
Page 1] [Page 2]
Wares & Garner Marriage
Our family history and records
SB Ancestry Index
Wares, Cavier
& Chase
Last Update
27 Jan 2014
The Cavier Family
The Martin Wares
The Chase Family
Etta May Chase
Joseph McElfresh
William Mitchell
Spencer Smith